Tuesday 11 August 2015

Life is worth fighting for!!!

Well it's been just over 12 months now living with IPAH. I feel relatively well and am stable on my meds. The last couple of months have been hard and stressful as I really want to keep up with everybody, which is proving difficult. Especially when my friends are all having nights out and not including me!!! I get very frustrated by this as i know i would not be able to keep up as I can't stand for long on my feet and I don't drink alcohol as much as i used to. But i have a very good supportive family who try to understand how i feel. 

In my last blog I mentioned that i had been to see the transplant team at Wythenshawe hospital. Well i've had my transplant assessment and seen one of 8 surgeons and been accepted onto the double lung transplant list. Scary thought now!!! When i had my assessment i was in hospital for 5 days and it was boring but i did meet some wonderful people who had transplants, not just lungs but hearts as well. They reassured me that i can do it. The staff at wythenshawe are fantastic, even when i had my right heart catheter they made me feel really calm and relaxed as i was very nervous and fell to pieces when I went for it. The assessment had all sorts of tests eg echo, ecg, loads of blood tests, x-ray of chest and teeth, 24hr urine collection, lung function test and oxygen levels where checked to. I also saw the social worker and organ retrieval nurse. Alot of information for to take in over 5 days. I was so overwhelmed with it all. I then saw a surgeon a few weeks after the assessment who explained the procedure for transplant and whether i would need just lungs or heart and lungs.  The surgeon said my case would go to panel where everybody involved in transplant care is there to discuss whether I could go on the list. This meeting was at the end of the week and I would know that afternoon/evening if i would be accepted onto the list. 

Anyway i got a call at around 9:30 in the morning from Laura one of the transplant coordinators and she said that they would be happy to list me for double lung transplant. At this point i was feeling fine and excited- i want my life back after all. However there was a few more tests that needed doing but i was ok to have these done whilst on the transplant list. The tests needed are a dexa scan- to ceck my bone density, some blood tests and a smear test. I also have to go to my local hospital to the Maxilo-Facial department to have my four metal plates and screws checked from when i had surgery to my jaws when i was 17.  I've had my smear test-not the most pleasant of experiences to have done!! I'm just waiting for my appointment to go for the dexa scan which is in August, then i will be going to Max Fax in September. 

I have been accepted onto the list and now it's just a waiting game. But i'm not going to stop living my life just because i'm waiting for transplant. I've got things to do and keep myself busy to take my mind of the wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment