Friday 9 June 2017

Holidays-accessible for all!!!

 Hiya folks!!!
Back in the Easter holidays I visited Cornwall for a week with my mum.
Now, I love do love Cornwall but some of the places we like to visit can be easy to access and others not to easy.
Well my idea was to hire a mobility scooter for the week to help me get around the beautiful places we like to visit.
I hired the scooter from a shop called "Independent Living" based in Newquay, just half an hour away from the holiday park where we stay. It was £50 for the week, they had to take my driving licence as part of the deposit as I paid by debit card, if I had paid cash it would have been easier.
When we phoned up to book the scooter we specifically asked for a light-weight scooter, this wasn't a light weight scooter!!! It came apart in 4 bits and was very heavy to lift in and out of my car!!! My poor mum even said it was heavy and struggled with it, she trapped her finger in it to!!!


   
              Here is the scooter!!!

Anyway, the scooter enabled me to get around the places that I haven't been able to go since becoming ill. We visited Padstow and enjoyed walking (well my mum did the walking!!!) around and managed to get the scooter upto the war memorial at the top of a steep hill which I would never make up if I was walking myself. It was a beautiful day but very windy and I was so happy that I got to see the beautiful view from this place.


 
      The beautiful views from the top of the War Memorial in Padstow

We also visited The Eden Project and i was very surprised that it was all easily accessible. I was able to access all the outside area and the domes that are there. We had to go on the land train to get to the biomes, even though I could access the majority of the pathways, I was worried that the scooter battery would die on me as some of the pathways where quite steep to get up. At The Eden Project there are two biomes you can go into and explore- The Mediterranean biome and The Rainforest biome. The rainforest biome is very stuffy and humid, you can walk around it and experience what it feels like to be in an actual rainforest. As i got to the top of the biome I started struggling as it was so hot and humid, i began to feel really hot, breathless, dizzy, nauseous and as weird as this sounds thirsty!!! It was such a relief to come back down and out into the fresh air again. There was one thing I enjoyed though, you get to cross a bridge and steam comes up from underneath to recreate a cloud formation, this was so refreshing. The Mediterranean biome is much more refreshing and is beautifully decorated in all the stunning Mediterranean colours of blue and white. There was a lot more flowers that I recognised in this biome. In the middle of this biome was a Mediterranean style restaurant serving different kinds of food e.g. Olives, Antipasti, focaccia and Spanish Paella. We didn't try any but it smelt amazing. In the middle of the biomes is a place where you can buy food and this is known as The Core. We ate in this bit and a had a big dish of nachos to share between both of us. Overall it was an enjoyable day out and I really enjoyed myself. 



This is the view of the biomes-to the left of the picture is the Rainforest Biome, the middle is the core and to the right is the Mediterranean biome.




This is a picture of the bridge you can walk across and experience what it's like to be surrounded by clouds.


 
This is a picture from the top of the rainforest biome.

Anyway I had a lovely time in Cornwall and am looking forward to my next trip back again in the summer holidays.
It just shows that I can get around places and still enjoy myself to!!!
As always thanks for taking the time to read my blogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment